Saturday, February 28, 2015

Welcoming Keepers

I can't believe our litters from the end of 2014 are already 10 weeks old. Time flies when you are having fun!

Here are their updated weights:

Sunshine's Litter-
1. 4lb 0.6oz (black runty doe)
2. 4lb 14.6oz (black eye patch doe)
3. 4lb 0.0oz (blue shoulder buck)
4. 4lb 2.4oz (lilac banded doe)
5. 4lb 7.1oz (black banded doe)

Tacoma's Litter-
1. 4lb 14.6oz (Pancake)
2. 4lb 14.3oz (Flapjack)

It has been a welcome surprise to see several of them nearing 5lbs at 10 weeks, though there are some significant size differences between individuals and some are barely making 4lbs. Either way I am happy with the results considering I was expecting to have to wait more than 12 weeks for even one to reach this size. I was planning to keep going with weights until then, but now I don't really see the point.

We had already decided to keep Jack, but we have also decided that Pancake will be staying, too. The black eye patch doe and the black banded doe from Sunshine's litter with also be keepers, for a total of 4 juniors to hopefully move forward with the next generation. I'm not at all worried about colors/markings right now, just traits that will build a stronger foundation like type and growth. All of them have nice personalities, good teeth, no visible defects, and are outwardly healthy. I am smitten with the rufus on Tacoma's litter:


I want to do pirate-related names with the two sisters from the first litter, but has been surprisingly hard to think of doe names with this theme. A few we were tossing around:

Calypso
Black Pearl
Chantey
..?

Welcoming any ideas. If they were bucks, I'd have at least a dozen names picked out already, lol.

4 comments:

  1. Granuaile - or Grace O'Malley....she was the queen of the Irish seas! Teuta was the name of another Irish pirate queen.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Calypso and Black Pearl :) I'm no good at naming lol Psst post pictures of the keepers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I tried to take them over the weekend, but it was pouring rain (yet again) so I will try again after my triple.. hopefully Thursday if we can get some decent weather. I hope your babies are doing well!

      Delete