Thursday, February 5, 2015

Helpful Links For Commercial Rabbit Selection

Here are some links I've found over the past few months about making meat rabbit selections. This also generally applies to anyone that breeds for commercial type rabbits. These breeds include:

American Chinchilla
French, Satin, & Giant Angoras
Blanc de Hotot
Champagne d’Argent (and Bruns)
Californian
Cinnamon
Crème d’Argent
French Lop
Harlequin! (Sorry, I couldn't resist bolding and adding an exclamation point, lol).
New Zealand
Palomino
Standard Rex
American Sable
Satin
Silver Fox
Silver Marten

First, what is commercial type anyway and what traits are we looking for? Click below to find out (with a diagram from Judge Mike D'Amico!):

Commercial Type Rabbit

When thinking of body types and qualities, I always try to remember the more extreme examples of each. For example, an extreme semi-arch or mandolin body type is an English Lop. They are built entirely different from a New Zealand and they have heavy bone. Mini Lops are built entirely different from either and almost look like a basketball cut in half with their compact little bodies. Cylindrical (Himi's) are shaped almost like ferrets or tubes and yet Tans have an almost jackrabbit shape as a full-arch breed. It makes sense that commercial rabbit breeds are solid with beefy quarters and a thick loin when comparing to the others as many were developed primarily as meat rabbits. Here is another link with information about selecting for good breeding stock and good meat rabbits in general:

What to Look For

Now that we know what to keep an eye out for, here is an article about showing meat pen rabbits, but it also talks about how to feel for good commercial type:

Selecting and Evaluating Meat Pens

And finally, how many rabbits does someone need to feed their family? How much will it cost to do so? Here are some handy calculators to help you figure it all out:

Rabbit Calculators

I enjoyed looking at these and comparing qualities in my litters and I hope it will be helpful to others as well. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links! One of these days, I'm going to take the time to pose my rabbits so I can properly evaluate them. I need to find out everyone's strengths and weaknesses so I can know what direction to go with future breedings. I know Cremes are notoriously weak in the shoulders, and I think mine are a little on the small side (or at least my older buck.) It's exciting work on improving a breed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the links can help someone else. I was glad to find such a wealth of info about commercial rabbits. Years ago it really could only be found in books on production. I'd be glad to try to help you with your rabbits if you ever need a second opinion and I think several other people would be happy to critique, too. I still learn new things all the time, but I used to post posed pictures of my litters on the show forum (which also had plenty of meat folks) and would get some feedback. Nowadays I know my lines more and I KNOW my crew has issues with looonnng @ss shoulders, pinched HQ, low toplines, etc. I am starting to feel like I might be making some progress finally though and it is super rewarding. I love that all of us work on breeds that are less "well-loved" and need folks dedicated to them. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I would LOVE your feedback! Tomorrow will be warm and sunny, so maybe I can get out there and do a rabbit photo shoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had time to check these links out yet, but I'm excited to do so. It really is lots of fun working on a breed and even better (in my opinion) when you can eat the culls! Our little SF/Cal babies are looking good, even though the SF buck leaves a little to be desired. We'll have a litter of SF/Rex in a few weeks and I'm interested to see how they look. Tauriel our Rex doe leaves a bit to be desired in the conformation department, as she's got "catchy" hips and I feel low shoulders, so we shall see....it really is such fun! :)

    ReplyDelete