Thursday, February 19, 2015

8 Week Evaluation Part II

I'm back! Also, this is the coldest late February I can remember. It was 11 degrees when I last looked and we have winds up to 28 mph. I ran the water overnight, but it looks like only the hot water is working and the cold pipe is frozen. Hopefully not cracked!

In the meantime, here we go! This is the black Japanese doe. She has brindled up, which I don't like, but ain't too shabby as far as type. Kind of has a reverse Dutch thing going on from this side:


Shoulders are a little bit low and long, but nothing compared to the blue buck. See how her HQ chops off instead of gently sloping? We don't want that, but she is actually decent overall. Top view:


And one more:


Little bit chopped/pinched, but still very undercut. And so the quest for perfect HQ and shoulders continues.

Here is the runt doe of the litter:


Top view:


And back:


I actually don't dislike her type compared to some of the others and she feels smooth. But she is sooooo little and is almost a full pound smaller than my largest. Unless something dramatic changes, we won't be keeping her.

Another black Japanese doe (who wasn't cooperative for posing obviously):


I like this doe. She is big, smooth, and solid. I don't like her pinched and hippy backside, but she is pretty good everywhere else and is the largest in the whole litter. Another pic of her:


Like with most of the others, the biggest issue is pinched/undercut. I think if I could keep working to improve meat qualities there, these traits would diminish. One more:

And the last doeling:


She has long shoulders, but they aren't very low- do you see the difference? It kind of seems like I am going to have to choose between HQ or shoulders for my keeper does. Most of them have significant faults with one, the other, or both. This one is less pinched than  the previous doe. Another view:


And from the back, where the undercut portion becomes more apparent. Not terrible though:


So I have some decisions to make. Jack is staying for sure. The blue buck and runt doe will not be kept unless something amazing changes between then and 10-12 weeks. I'm on the fence about the rest until we see how they grow. I've read that hindquarter problems are easier to fix and that shoulder problems (ie long, low, and/or narrow) will haunt breeders forever, so I lean towards picking the shorter/deeper does with wider shoulders. Do you have a favorite or one you really hate? Decisions, decisions.. and thanks for looking!

6 comments:

  1. I'm certainly no expert on Harlequins, but I really like the third doe (the black Japanese). She has decent type and nice, clear markings.

    Glad you made it back safe! Sorry about your water. It was about 1 degree this morning, here. Brrrrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the doe you liked (the pirate one) will be staying here and maybe one other (the first one?), too. Hoping they make it easier for me to choose at 10 weeks! Also, 1 degree is freezing! Glad ya'll have plenty of wood at least. Stay warm!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry your cold water is frozen! Maybe if you turn it on and leave it running it will break loose! I like the second to the last doeling, but can't tell you why.....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all like the same doeling, so that helps, lol! We did get the water running last night finally and managed to keep it unfrozen overnight by leaving a steam instead of a drip. I think we need better insulation for sure.

      Delete
  3. The first doe and your largest are my favorites. Despite the runt's type, she will likely produce slow growing/stunted kits. I like the shoulder depth on the last doe but not sure her length makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I went through them again this morning and I still like the pirate patch doe the best and the first doe 2nd best. I may end up growing out the last doe a little longer though because she caught my eye as she was feeling a little more filled out since they have more room to run and continuous feed (they were able to dump the bowl in the old cage before I moved them).

      Delete