Thursday, February 12, 2015

Life and Death

We lost Valkyrie's black Japanese doeling unexpectedly today. When I checked on them last night, there were 5 fat and happy kits. When I went out to take care of everyone this morning, the doe kit was separated from the others in the nestbox, which is not a good sign in rabbits. Most kits this age still sleep in a pile together, particularly when it is cool out like it is here. When I picked her up, she was chilly and quiet. Her color was poor and she was breathing fast, which are usually signs of shock or impending death (in rabbits and in people incidentally). She passed away shortly after. I will never know for sure why she suddenly declined, but I think the most likely reason is that she was probably stepped on when mama popped in the nestbox to nurse.

Death is natural and inevitable, but never easily accepted, even by people more exposed to it, like those of us that raise animals or work in healthcare. I found this comic a while back and I think it beautifully and artistically illustrates the natural cycle:

Life and Death have been in love

Many people wouldn't understand, but I know you guys do. So, thanks. 

3 comments:

  1. Ah I'm sorry you lost your little doe. It's the way of things sometimes when keeping critters. I Like the comic. It is a beautiful way to illustrate death and life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I know sometimes these things happen, but it is still unfortunate when it does. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the single kit left or rebreed Valkyrie because I really need a keeper from her for the next generation as she is the best typed doe I've produced so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry. :( It's always hard when you don't know exactly what happened.

    ReplyDelete