Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Hippos!

Finally! I have been worrying about the newborn kits pretty consistently because they hadn't look like they were getting enough milk since they were born. Today when I checked on them though, I found that Valkyrie's milk supply came in with a vengeance and her kits were soooooo fat. The blue one with the missing ear tip was upside down and couldn't even roll over the right way because of a super full tummy. It was adorable and made me very happy! :)

Unfortunately, the three in Kari's nest were starting to look downright skinny, so I put the blue one from Kurayami's litter in with Valkyrie also. She immediately jumped in the nestbox and nursed/cleaned that kit, who finally has a full belly and is snuggled in with the other two hippos. Val is doing such a good job she may end up with all 5 if the other 2 make it. I'm trying to give Kari a chance and she only has 2 to take care of presently, but maybe age has something to do with milk supply? Everything is the same between the two does and I know for sure she used to be able to feed 8 with no problem. Hopefully it will work out. I don't want to add too many too fast to Val's nestbox so she has time to adjust her supply to match the demand.

I also overhauled my website some by taking out all of the individual rabbit information/pedigrees from their pages and making it a photo gallery. I need to post more of the does, but it is a start. In the long run, I think it will also be a lot easier for me to keep updated because I can just add to the gallery when I have new pictures to share. I hope to use the additional space to add information about the Harlequin breed and whatever else I can think of.

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for fat babies!!! The next breeding round, we plan to breed Eden and Elvie, that way we can foster if needed. I'm not sure fostering would have helped Tauriel's litter make it, as they were SO cold when The Youngun found them, but it's always in the back of your mind. I'm glad the milk is flowing well now for your doe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I loooovveee being able to foster, too! I honestly don't think ya'll could have done anything different with Tauriel's litter when that freeze comes and your daughter did everything right to try to bring them back. Some folks bring their mamas and litters inside, but we don't have a setup for it personally. If we end up moving to colder climate, we are going to try cardboard or pegboard lining for the nestboxes and a "kit scraper" board across the front as recommended by some northern breeders. Fingers crossed for healthy kits out of Eden and Elvie! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad Valkyrie has a good milk supply! For now you could put Kari's babies in long enough to get a good meal. Her age could be playing a factor in milk supply along with her small litter size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am much relived about Val's kits now and hopefully when I check later Kari will have fed the 2 better without the 3rd one to compete with. Otherwise I will probably put one of them in with Val and then tomorrow the last kit if still no luck, but maybe Kari will surprise me still like Valkyrie did. Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  3. The 1 Kurayami kit that was fostered to Kari looked better (still not great though) with less competition, but Kari's singleton still looks very small and weak. I don't think Kari is doing a good job taking care of them unfortunately. This morning I found the 2 she still had cold and wet against the back of the soiled nestbox. They would have died for sure if they hadn't had some fur like they do now. I cleaned them up and moved them to Val's, but I am going to still try to supplement feedings with Kari 1-2x day for her tiny kit if I can because it needs all the help it can get or I think it won't be able to compete with Val's. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete