Friday, February 20, 2015

A Surprise Package

I was very excited and surprised to find a package on the table from my husband when I got home the other day. He said he researched and thought I would enjoy what he found. Here is what was inside:


Needless to say, I am thrilled! This book is amazing! It is all about learning to live in harmony with the land under your feet and covers topics like natural energy, raising crops and livestock, preserving foods, making beer and wine, basketry, carpentry, weaving, financial independence, home repairs, foraging, and the list goes on. The table of contents reads like a list of things I daydream about every week. I've only read the introduction and flipped to a couple of sections, but it seems well-written, detailed, and thoughtful. Literally FILLED to the brim with tons of helpful information, how-to guides, and insights.

So back to the package. Underneath the book above, I found another tucked behind it! It looks like this:


I haven't even opened this one yet because I am obsessed with the first book, but it says it covers topics such as growing and preserving foods, raising chickens, having a successful garden, buying land, catching pigs, making sausage, etc. My husband said it came very highly recommended by other homesteaders, so I can't wait to get started on it. I expect it will take me a while to read them both cover to cover because I am taking my time to really grasp the information, but I will plan to post a book review on them in the future.

Basically, my husband is a magnificent specimen of a man and I am so fortune to have met him half a lifetime ago. He is my soulmate, partner, and best friend and I couldn't thank him enough for these unexpected and thoughtful gifts while we look ahead to whatever the future might hold. I wonder if the books say anything about Nebraska? :)

7 comments:

  1. Yayy for good husbands! My favorite book is Back to Basics a Complete Guide to Traditional Skills. My parents had a copy back in the 70's when I was a baby, and I read and re-read it. Then I bought myself a copy and our daughter has a copy in her hope chest. I'm pretty sure I've read the John Seymour book and it was really good! Happy reading and it's fo' sho' the right time of year for it!

    Ps.....is it going to be Nebraska????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'll have to look into acquiring this book! I think the John Seymour one is a re-release from 30+ years ago, too.

      PS. I don't know yet.. but maybe! I kind of hope so, actually. :)

      Delete
  2. Great job, Hubby!!! :)

    That first book looks awesome. I may have to drop a hint to my man ;). My mom has the Encyclopedia of Country Living and I have read it cover to cover. It is a wealth of information! You will LOVE it!! :) I like Back to Basics, too :).

    Wait, Nebraska??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to get started on it! I love books like this. I have a few others, but many are pretty general and I am so glad these are more specific.

      I hope to know something by August or September, but maybe Nebraska! I honestly feel like we are way too close to Atlanta. I would be happy to get further away from one of the biggest cities in the nation. We are looking at other places also, but the area around Omaha has a lot of job opportunities for the hubby and is more rural than places like Seattle, Atlanta, DC, Boston, etc.

      Delete
  3. That is SO sweet!! I can understand why you are so excited.
    I'd want to look at the first book for the picture on the front alone! ha. I love red barns and barn photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it pretty? I'd love to have a barn like that someday. :)

      Delete
  4. Though I will be staying an Indiana girl if I was choosing anywhere to move to I'd choose TN - close to the Smoky Mountains!

    ReplyDelete