Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Perfect Number



In Bob Bennett's book (Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits), he talks about 4 rabbits being a good number to start with. He recommends a couple of junior bucks, a junior doe, and a bred senior doe to bring home. He recommends that folks breed from there, always culling hard and selecting the best and those 4 rabbits can easily become 100 good ones for you to continue to work with.

Oren Reynolds is a former president of ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association), editor of Domestic Rabbits, and long-time (very well-known) rabbit breeder with best of breed wins on the national level. To contrast with Mr. Bennett's point of view, Oren Reynolds reportedly never kept more than 12 breeding does at any given time. He culled very strictly from weaning, believing that faults visible at that time will only be more easily seen with maturity.

One thing that I've noticed varies quite a bit across rabbtries is what "the perfect number" of rabbits might be to feel like progress is being made towards the breeder's goals. Some folks want at least 50 breeders and up-and-comers. Some want 100. Some want 5, and not a single animal more. Many are limited by their space and time (myself included), but it makes me wonder what the right number really is. Do I need 50 rabbits to produce what I am working towards? I'm no expert, but that is a LOT of rabbits to care for.

For myself, unless I was raising commercially, I think I prefer Oren Reynold's approach above most others. 12 breeding does sounds like a great number. Right now I have less than that and no plans to expand if we might have to move across the country. But maybe one day in the near future 12 does will be perfect.

Then how many bucks? Research indicates that bucks can be used on more than 10 does without ill effects, but I think that is just too much. Maybe my bucks are used to an easier life, but they seem like they need time to eat, drink, and rest between does. I think a better ratio may be more like 1 buck for every 6 does, maybe 8 if I wanted to push my luck (which I don't). So for 12 does, someone could have 2 really great bucks. I think I would have 3 or 4. Let's face it, does don't always like the bucks we pick out for them. Also, if something happens unexpectedly to a buck or two, we haven't lost or almost lost the ability to get another generation started in the rabbitry.

So I guess for me, my perfect number is 3-4 bucks that are the best I can produce and 12 does.

Do you have a perfect number?

2 comments:

  1. Number of rabbits is something I used to obsess over. I wanted to be sure I was doing things like the "professionals". I was a youth at the time and restricted to a total of 9 cages by my parents. Everyone else had a lot more rabbits than that so I felt I would be held back.

    Now that I have some experience under my belt, I try not to worry so much. LOL Keeping multiple bucks is definitely important for a number of reasons. It's also a good idea to have some empty cages to grow out juniors. I used to be bad about parting with juniors too early and regretting it later when they matured into very nice rabbits - of course I didn't understand my lines very well at the time either. These days when I breed, I try to have several empty cages to keep any bunny with promise.

    For me personally, I don't like having more than 8-10 adult rabbits. Frequently there is an almost equal number of bucks and does. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I only breed for meat I will ideally have three does and two bucks. I don't really need two bucks but I worry about losing one of the bucks and then being without. I also have to be careful to not fall into the trap of wanting to keep more than is practical. It's so hard to keep focused and not keep every cute baby!

    ReplyDelete