Friday, January 30, 2015

Due Date

So, it's been an interesting 24 hours here with the rabbits. Hikari prepared her beautiful nest days ago, but she only kindled 1 kit yesterday morning. I am hoping it is a replacement doe for her, but either way I will consider it a win as she is about 6 years old now and it has been more than 2 years since her last litter.

Kurayami, on the other hand, has never been pregnant before and it became very clear that she was having issues. She didn't start nesting until her due date yesterday and it was very haphazard. I left her alone as best I could except that I tried to ensure the nestbox was in the general vicinity of her last known nesting area (which seemed to change hour to hour). When she did finally kindle, some were still delivered on the wire. She didn't clean up the placentas and it looks like 1 was still in the sac when I found it. Another 1 looked like she had trouble during delivery and a 3rd looked stepped on for a total of 3 dead. At that point, I thought the whole litter was a loss, but amazingly, I did find 2 live babies in separate parts of the destroyed nest. They were still wet and were cool to the touch. Fortunately, Kari was willing to take them on and even clean them before they cozied up with her singleton. Kurayami seems no worse for wear, though she obviously had a time of it.

Today Valkyrie kindled and it was her first time also, but she actually did a very good job! She only had 2, but they both look clean, dry, and well-tended in a nest that was also finished just this morning. I am so thankful that everything went okay with her. I am quite fond of her type and clown nature as I've mentioned before. I try not to get attached because you never know what will happen (or what needs to happen to move forward in the rabbitry), but yeah.. I'm a sucker.

Anyway, I haven't seen Hikari try to nurse any of the kits yet even though she has done everything else for them. I moved them for a short bit to Kurayami's nest to see if she wanted to nurse them, but she seemed baffled by their existence and I started getting worried she step on the two survivors by bouncing in and out. I'm staying positive though as it has been less than a day. If no one steps up, I will try Valkyrie with 5 instead of 2. That is why I always try to plan for multiple litters at a time. Then if something happens, I can foster babies out to other does.

Even though it was sort of a disaster by breeder standards, I can't help but to think of this as a win overall. I realize 5 kits total from 3 litters is a poor outcome, but these are older does and 2 of the 3 had zero experience. If none of the does took the past couple of months, I would have needed to start over completely, so I am still thankful these old guys and gals came through. I can't help but to wonder if the number of kits per litter would increase or stay the same if they are bred again. I also wonder if Kurayami would get it together next time. I've never had a Harlequin that wasn't a good mother, but I have had poor Mini Lop mamas and if the first time is a disaster then they usually get it right the 2nd time. Not that they have much of a choice because that is a trait that I select for. I guess we'll just see what happens and go forward from there.

In other news, it is super windy and in the 40's outside. I'm sure it is much colder in other places- stay warm, friends!

7 comments:

  1. Rabbits sure do keep us on our toes, don't they? :) I'm glad you got some kits, despite the obstacles. I hope these kits turn out to be some great replacement stock for you!

    I've been trying not to get too attached to my breeders, either. My NZ does are a little skittish, but the bucks are LOVERS. I would have a hard time culling them, if the need arose. I suppose I could always just sell them as proven sires...

    Can't wait to see pics of your new babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do and thank you! It is SO hard not to get attached sometimes, especially to the bucks. Argh! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your kits! And yes I'd agree that what you are going for, this was a success! You got live kits and that's what you needed. Hopefully you'll get the does and bucks you need to keep you going! When I had the pedigreed Rex years ago, and newbies came to buy from me, I used to tell them that breeding rabbits wasn't for the faint of heart. It's a tough thing, but very worth it! :) Can't wait to see pics of these new babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you are right! There have been so many times where I feel frustrated, sad, and upset, but it is the overwhelming sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, happiness that comes with a successful litter, a beautiful adult that came from your lines, or even a good meal on the table that makes it worth it every time. I am planning to snap some pics today when I take a closer look at them. Yay for babies! Hoping all is well with yours, too.

      Delete
  3. Woo! Go Kari!! I'm so glad the other girls gave you some kits! Kurayami will probably catch on next time, if you decide to breed her again. Most does take just 1 or 2 tries to get the hang of motherhood. In my experience, if they don't get it after 2 tries they probably won't or you'll waste a lot of time and money getting them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad also, though I am having a hard time deciding now on replacing old producers and going with youngsters or trying a second time around for more kits to choose from (or mothering skills in the case of Kurayami). I for sure don't want to expand the herd right now, so one way or the other there will have to be some decisions in the next couple of weeks as the other litters approach market weight. At least there are choices now I guess, lol!

      Delete
    2. Having options is always good. You might want to do a second round of breeding, maybe pair the does differently and see if you get better/different results. :)

      Delete