Saturday, January 17, 2015

4 Week Weights

It's that time again! Here are the weights of the two litters as of today at 4 weeks old:

Sunshine's Litter-
1. 13.3oz (black runty doe)
2. 1lb 2.2oz (black eye patch doe)
3. 1lb 1.4oz (blue shoulder buck)
4. 1lb 2.9oz (blue banded doe)
5. 1lb 2.2oz (black banded doe)

Tacoma's Litter-
1. 1lb 8.2oz (black doe)
2. 1lb 9oz (black buck)

From everything I can find online and in books so far, these weights are comparable to meat breeds at this age. I hope the trend continues, but only time will tell. As you can see above, the buck from Tacoma's litter is still the largest and the little doe in Sunshine's litter is still (by far) the smallest. I thought this might change some now that the kits are eating pellets and hay in addition to nursing, but it would seem so far that the runt at birth remains that way as it develops. I'm curious to see how this trend continues over the next month.

I checked gender on the kits again and it looks like everyone is still what I thought they were a few weeks ago. I'm good with that ratio because I always want to keep bucks I don't need. Seriously. I have a problem. At least I recognize it now so I don't end up with a ridiculous number of bucks again in the future. I just wish they weren't so darn personable!

The rain finally came to an end yesterday after what seemed like weeks. I can't remember a more rainy winter here since we moved almost a decade ago. The property is so over-saturated that it feels squishy when I walk now. I really hope it dries out some because the ground has been frozen every morning when I wake up and that just won't work for gardening, even for the cool weather crops.

I tried to take a few pictures today, but ended up having to come inside after just a few minutes because my camera wouldn't focus properly. I almost had some cute shots! :(





On the bright side, I did get the camera working again. Hopefully I'll have better luck later today or tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. Impressive weights! Is their type looking promising?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's honestly hard for me to evaluate them this young when they still have that chunky baby look going on. I'm seeing some traits that look better so far (ie HQ looks tentatively improved), but other things I'm not loving like low shoulders yet again. I don't think I've ever produced shoulders I was thrilled with. I'm hoping I will have better luck evaluating them when they are 6+ weeks and am aiming to do my final eval around 12 weeks. I understand that feed conversion rapidly drops off after that point and I'm trying so hard to stick to my homesteading goals.

      Delete
    2. Long shoulder is a common fault from the breeders I have spoken with. :\ They are cute little things regardless. :D

      Delete
  2. Aww! What cuties! Eden's litter of SF/Cal cross are growing and looking really good. I'm excited to weigh them at 2 weeks and compare notes with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see how they progress! I should have mentioned this, but I am free-feeding (about 2-2.5cups/day for the litter) a 16% feed with grass hay (a handful a few times per day). I know some folks feed a lot more or less protein, so wanted to mention it. :)

      Delete
  3. I weighed my litter today, too! At 8 weeks every one is averaging 4 pounds. I also realized out of 7 babies, only ONE is a doe.

    Your babies are SOOO cute! I can't wait to see how everybody grows out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, I'm sorry about your buck to doe ratio! I've had it go all bucks and all does before (usually when I want the opposite gender to keep), but the next litter from the same parents might be a much more even division if that helps at all. Also thanks for the weight info- I'll be sure to update this at 6, 8, 12 weeks for comparisons.

      Also, thank you! I'm trying to get pictures of their type to post so we can see how they mature vs. how they are now.

      Delete
  4. They are so cute!! Have you found yourself good at being able to tell the gender of young kits? I haven't even tried on my new litter. I drove myself crazy trying to figure it out with the last litter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I usually check their gender first around 10-14 days when I am making sure their eyes are okay and everything else is in order. I then check again periodically to make sure when I am evaluating or just walking around holding so they are used to me. I've never had anyone contact me saying the gender was wrong or had my own breeders end up being the wrong gender (knock on wood). I promise you, it does get easier over time! It sounds crude, but I was taught to look for a "doughnut" vs. "taco" and it has worked for me. If it would be helpful I can try to take some pictures of the difference on these young guys and gals soon.

      Delete
    2. Well I sure wouldn't mind pictures. So many people tried to help me with my last litter in establishing gender. It obviously is pretty easy on older rabbits but these young ones I just am never sure. When mine are 10-14 days I might have to email you some photos of them and get your opinion - if you wouldn't mind that! :)

      Delete
    3. Of course! I'd be happy to, no problem at all. And I'll try to take some pictures to post of what my bucks and does look like at this age for reference, too. :)

      Delete