Saturday, December 6, 2014

5 Breeds (and Happy December!)

Can you believe how fast the time flies? It seems like yesterday when it was still summer and I was cursing the deer and squirrels that decimated my garden, lol. And now it is winter- the Christmas lights are up, the air is crisp, and the pies are abundant.

Anyway, I remember on one of my (now defunct) forums, there was a thread about what 5 breeds of rabbit you would NEVER raise. I thought it would be fun to bring it back, so here are mine:

1. American Fuzzy Lop

2. Jersey Wooly

3. Mini Rex

4. Mini Satin

5. Lionhead

Honorable mention: Himilayan, Polish, Netherland Dwarf 

Nothing personal for the folks that love those breeds! I just can't see myself working with tiny rabbits. If I wanted long fur, I'd go with larger angora breeds. If I wanted a satin coat or himi points, I'd go with the full-size breed. If i wanted lop ears, likewise. Everyone is different, but I just can do the tiny guys. And even 4lbs is pretty small to me. I thought Dutch were tiny and their max weight is 5.5lbs (I would raise them again if space/time/money was no option). Here is a link to the ARBA breed list:

https://www.arba.net/breeds.htm

I loved seeing the responses on the old forum- I'd be curious where folks stand these days since small rabbits are so popular across the US. Happy December!

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't think I'd ever breed Flemish, too big, English Lops, too much ear, Neatherland Dwarf, too tiny, New Zealands, too plain, and Lionheads, because I think they look like Bugs Bunny in the one where he is like Jekyl and Hyde....... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good list! I used to raise English Lops and while I love the breed, I don't think I would raise them again unfortunately. They are very slow growing/big boned, wanted affection constantly, and ear nips could get me DQed off the show table. So basically they were one of the fanciest breeds for show, but not a multi-purpose breed unless you want a house full of lovable pets. A friend of mine raises the new broken variety of New Zealands and they are gorgeous and quite different- I'd consider those if my Harlies never produce again. I remember the Jekyl/Hyde Bugs, haha. Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  2. I remember that discussion! I can't remember the breeds I chose. Now days, I think I would avoid: Britannia Petite, Belgian Hare, Holland Lops, Lionheads, and Silvers. Petites are skittish, Belgians are beautiful but they seem too fragile. Hollands are insanely popular but I don't like the exaggerated heads. I think Lionheads and Silvers are somewhat ugly.

    I prefer rabbits that come in many colors. When I first started raising rabbits I had all REW Netherland Dwarfs (a breed I would consider having again) so it was boring to say the least. I love my Harlequins because no 2 look exactly alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were there for that discussion, heheh! :) I've actually never been around Petites or Hares, but I don't really like skittish or fragile either. I like colors also- I think the prettiest ND's are the Vienna marks- not sure if anyone still works with BEW much these days? Love these lists! Might do another later this week.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if you remember Whitney from RH but she raised Hares for a while and had nothing but problems. Broken legs due to the extremely fine bones seem common. I have never met any Petites but have always been told they are bitey.

      You know, I don't think any of the white varieties of NDs are popular. I was the only youth breeder of REWs in GA back in the day. At Conyers I noticed a lot of Otters and Chestnuts but not much beyond those.

      Delete