Tuesday, December 30, 2014

10 Days Old

Eyes are opening on Sunshine's litter! I emptied the nestbox out today in preparation, but saved all the cozy fur. I have found that when I started to do this, there was a distinct reduction in "nestbox eye" with the kits as compared to when I waited longer. I place wood pellets at the bottom on the clean wood, then add grass hay (I shake it off before I build a "nest" with it in the box to reduce dust). Finally, I add the rest of the clean fur back in. Then I know it is sanitary like it was when it was first given to the doe.

Anyhow, here they are waiting to return to the nestbox:


My husband enjoyed visiting with them, too:


He said he thinks it will be harder to make our selections later on now that those that don't make the cut for breeding or show won't be going to pet homes. I would probably still place one in a special pet home because there have been a few over the years that were truly exceptional, but otherwise I think this is the best decision for them and for us. In the meantime, we will enjoy spoiling them rotten and loving them every chance we get. :)

4 comments:

  1. They sure are cuties! I'm excited to see what our kits from Eden (Californian doe) and Spartan (Silver Fox buck) look like. They are due Jan 6th. Hopefully Eden will be a good Momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will keep my fingers crossed for Eden also! I am curious to see what Cali X SF will look like!

      Delete
  2. Those are some well-fed babies! So adorable. And I LOVE the colors!

    ReplyDelete