Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Haystache!

Hay + Mustache= Haystache. :)

Sunshine surprised me late last night when I checked on the gang by digging at the corners of her cage over and over. I threw some hay in again and sure enough, she immediately started gathering it up to nest with. It is a little early for a nestbox, but she was frantic and I don't care that it wasn't quite day 28 when she clearly wants a place to build. When I checked on her this morning she was still rearranging in her shiny new box and had pulled just a tiny tuft of fur that was sitting in the mountain of hay, lol.

So I am very surprised and pleased by this development! If she kindles, it defies pretty much everything I've ever read about breeding rabbits. First of all, she is almost 3 years old. Second, she has NEVER been bred before. She was born and raised here, but has been kept pretty much as a spoiled pet for all this time when I took a hiatus from breeding/exhibiting. She is a lilac Japanese, curious and sweet, with decent type all around. Her hindquarter is lacking and she could use a thicker coat with bolder markings, but Apollo (the sire of the litter) should complement her nicely. Valkyrie has also been grunty, which is unusual for her, but I haven't seen any signs of nest building in her or the other two does. Time will tell what happens as the week goes on and once things are more settled, I will plan to take some updated pics.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh so exciting! There is truly nothing cuter than a hay-stache!! I feel like that every time I have a pen in my mouth! LOL! I can't' wait to see your updated pictures and if she kindles. Our doe Eden is due with her first litter on Jan. 9th....such an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for hay-staches! Hoping for lots of lovely popples for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really exciting! :D My fingers are crossed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I have my fingers crossed, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exciting!! Keeping my fingers crossed and do keep us posted. :)

    Oh I finally was able to access my blog account. I haven't been able to since this summer. Thanks for checking in on me!

    ReplyDelete