Thursday, December 11, 2014

Hutch Design

I want to move a couple of my rabbits outside into a hutch that I've built myself. As I've mentioned before, this upcoming year will have a few different experiments going on- trying a more natural diet, trying an outdoor hutch (and maybe an indoor trayless system also if I can figure it out), and solving rabbit breed dilemma if the Harlies are too old so I can get some kits in the nestbox again.

I have been trying to look at plans for a while now and I've linked a few in other posts. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people that can look at a thing and figure out how to put it together. As far from "handy" as you can imagine. I need detailed plans with the wood measurements, type of screws, etc. all spelled out or I guarantee I will screw it up.

One frame idea I found that could be promising is utilizing modular hutch brackets. I found them for sale here (with pictures):

http://www.bunnyrancher.com/store/p41/Modular_Hutch_Brackets.html

Incidentally, the vendor above also has rabbit dispatch/processing equipment should anyone be looking. With the brackets, it looks like as long as I buy the right wood and have a drill that it would be easy to fit existing cages. I would need to place the frame on concrete blocks or something to get it off the ground outside and I would need to build a roof or place the cages inside a covered area. I'd probably also see if I can put some aluminum sheeting on the frame to protect the wood.

Another idea instead of building a roof- a friend of mine used a Walmart pop-up tent with sides for her rabbitry. She had it against the back of her house and the rabbit cages were inside. She used trays as I recall, but I think if it is a single row that I could probably place a large drilled tub under the cage to catch waste for the garden and move the tent from time to time. It actually looked really nice for an urban setup- it was tan and blended in well with her home and backyard landscaping. I doubt anyone even knew she had rabbits there. Here is an example picture for context:


I saw some other folks use carports, but I think that would be too much when I am just experimenting. What happens if I hate it and want to move everyone back in? I don't want to invest a ton of money or time in this unless I love it. I am also not certain how cold hardy the Harlies will be if move them outdoors when it is in the 20's or below at times. Seems like that might be another part of the experiment. I can easily provide them with shelter and hay to burrow into though. On an interesting note, I have found Harlequins to be surprisingly heat tolerant and have never lost one during the summer. They did better during the hottest days than even my NZ's back when I had them.

Anyone have a favorite hutch design or housing plans they'd like to share or have had good luck with?

2 comments:

  1. My rabbits are in outdoor hutches. http://olivyew.blogspot.com/2014/06/parts-of-rabbit-hutch.html. The basic design is a wooden 2x4 frame with a 1/2 x 1/2" wire pen on one end and an enclosed wooden house on the other. I use tin sheets to create a solid roof. It could be modified easily to use your current cages.

    I could send more exact plans if it's a design you're interested in. I want to switch to coroplast in the nest boxes of my hutches and hope to have that finished after the first of the year.

    I have also seen plans to use PVC as the framework for a hutch. It would be weather resistant and easier to clean than wood. Here is one plan: http://besurvival.com/homesteading/rabbit-hutch-plans-part-one-how-to-build-and-assemble-a-pvc-rabbit-hutch-and-cages

    I think if I have to build more hutches, PVC is going to be the way I go. My Harlies have done very well in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks April! I love your hutch post and especially like the tin roof. I am going to the hardware store tomorrow so I will look for these parts while I am there. I also like the PVC idea- one of my issues with wood is how easily it falls apart (my veggie garden beds are dealing with this now). PVC might work perfectly if I can make it strong enough for a frame and big fat rabbits, lol. I'm glad to hear your Harlies have been good in the cold- that was my big concern after keeping them indoors. Even though it isn't temperature controlled, it still rarely gets below 40-50F.

    ReplyDelete