Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Latest

Just thought I'd share a little of what has been going on around the homestead.

First, we did lose another kit (one of the runts), but the 8 remaining look to be doing better than I thought they would. Yay! I still don't know what the future holds, but I'm thankful for what we have.

Second, one of the two kits from Kurayami looks to have a partial Dutch marking as fur develops. WHAT?! I've had a few white toes here or there (and have never kept or bred them), but unless this sheds out, it looks like a white streak across one shoulder. Of course it had to be 1 of the 2 survivors also.. grrr! I am finding the Dutch spotting gene to be quite an annoyance. I wish there was more information available about it. What little I know, I've gleaned from genetics textbooks and it is complicated and insidious. Sometimes I think Magpies would be the way to do so I don't have to pull my hair out over random white spots. Then I see Jack and the others with rich and bright rufous and my willpower drains away..

Third, I will be out of action starting next week and my husband will be taking care of everything while I am out. I've hinted at this, but the long and short of it is that I felt a lump, it turned out to be several masses (hopefully benign!),  and I will be undergoing a major abdominal surgery next week to have them removed. I will be at the hospital for at least a few days after, so if everything is okay, you may get tired of my incessant blog posts. Yes, I'm trying to plan ahead about what I want to write about because I am a dork. Honestly though I am scared, so I am focused on what my plans are afterward. I've never broken a bone or had any kind of surgery before, so nothing to do but plow forward into the great unknown, right?

Fourth, I am having to make some tough decisions so my husband has less to do while I am away. I culled a few older does out of the herd and I discovered that they need a serious exercise and diet program. I've never seen so much internal fat in my life. Holy cow! Effective today, my senior does are on Weight Watchers. Just kidding. But seriously, I'm going to utilize a lot more hay and a lot less pellets because..wow!

And fifth. My car is so yellow from pollen that I can't even tell it was supposed to be white. So gross! Does this happen everywhere else in the country or just here? It rained last night and the puddles are thick yellow goo. There is a yellow haze and I can't breathe and I found this picture that someone took in Atlanta:


Please send help because I'm pretty sure the apocalypse is here and it is.. yellow!

8 comments:

  1. I'll be praying your surgery goes well! The thought of being put under always scared me too. I've only been knocked out for wrist surgeries and wisdom teeth removal, so I know what you are facing is way scarier. You will be in my prayers!

    Hmmm... time to make rabbit lard? :)

    And wow, that IS a lot of pollen. We don't have near that amount here, but then your bloom is probably a week or two ahead of ours.

    I'm looking forward to your extra posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope everything goes well, too. :)

      Rabbit lard sounds so weird, though I'm not sure why considering tallow/lard from other animals (I'm thinking of bacon fat right now!) gives meals an extra oomph of decadence.

      I'm glad to know it isn't like this everywhere. I was wondering random places like Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, or Nebraska get slammed like we do. It is seriously gross despite the weather being so gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. You are in my thoughts that your procedure goes well. *hugs* If you want to talk rabbits just to pass the time, feel free to email me. They are a good distraction.

    I love my magpies and if you decide to go that route, I'd be glad to help you get started.

    Here is my feeding plan:
    1/2 cup pellets to dry does & bucks
    1 cup to nursing does with litters under 2 weeks & single juniors
    basically free-feed does once the kits start eating more solids (2-3 weeks) and groups of weanlings

    I feed hay daily and lots of greens. Every rabbit is out of its cage for at least a little while every day, plus they have lots of toys. It's time consuming and may change once I go back to work full time next year, but it works for the small number of rabbits I currently have.

    LOL I have already started popping the Zyrtec. Pollen incapacitates me for weeks otherwise. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! Rabbits are a wonderful detraction and I appreciate the offer. :)

      I checked again today and yup- the blue from Kurayami's litter has a straight up white shoulder. Apollo has never thrown even a white toe before that I know of, but the genetics are so complicated that I am not even sure if it is from him or the doe or both of them when there are multiple alleles involved. I know Spock X Kari have thrown white toes for sure.

      I did cut back on pellets today with the herd and upped the hay, though I can already see a few fatties throwing hissy fits. I am planning to pick some dandelions and a few other greens, but I know I won't be able to do it very long so they will have to get what my husband can offer for a little while anyway. When the garden is due to harvest, they will be getting carrot tops, extra spinach, etc., too.

      I hope the pollen count drops in your area! The yellow smog is absolutely insane today! Even my porch is absolutely covered in thick yellow powder now. Yick.

      Delete
  3. Will be praying for you! Blog away, I love reading no matter what it's about, and I plan my posts too, and schedule them ahead of time often, because I usually only have time to blog on the weekends.......

    I can't believe your pollen, that is crazy!

    Again, will be praying for you!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you today! I hope things are going well to good to great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pre-op went great- I will be admitted to the hospital on Tuesday morning. Everything's positive here. :)

      Delete