Friday, April 10, 2015

The Great Escape

I've been super busy, but I wanted to share a story from this week.

It was a dark and stormy night. Okay, so I'm not the best at writing stories. But it was 4:30AM and raining outside at least. I'm walking, still mostly-asleep, in my PJ's to check on the buns before I get ready for work. I grumble about useless dogs when I realize I am all alone on my way out the door because the durned furballs are still asleep in my bedroom. Upon arriving to the rabbitry, I know immediately something is wrong. Everyone is banging around in their cages when it is normally quiet. Worrying about a snake or a stray cat, I am cautiously peeking around, when suddenly, something prods the back of my leg!

Startled out of my boots, I may have squealed some words I won't repeat. Flicking all the lights on and now fully awake, I see an orange blur scurry underneath a stack of cages. Was that..? I kneel down, and underneath the tray staring back at me is what can only be described as a memorable face. It was something like this:


Yup, it was Jack, of course. I'm pretty sure the Harlequin motto is made for him as he is easily one of the most clownish and obstinate rabbits I've raised. He proceeded to show me how awesome he is by hopping around and rubbing his chin on everything in site, including my ankles. I had to laugh, but eventually scooped him up (while he hung like a sack of potatoes) so I could see how he escaped.

Upon further investigation, Jack has figured out how to unhook the J-feeder from his cage, move the clip up that holds the bin flush against the wire, and shove the whole thing out onto the concrete. He then transforms himself into a liquid bunny so that he may slither out onto the floor below. Lol. In all seriousness, I'm not exactly sure how he fits through the hole and down a few feet without breaking all of his bones.

And that, my friends, is how Jack woke my sleepy butt up before work this week. Hope everyone is doing well!

6 comments:

  1. HAAAAAA! He's figured out how to go from a flap jack, to flap jack mix, and back in the blink of an eye!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, flap jack mix! He totally oozed out onto the floor. I seriously don't know how else he could have done it. He is a good sized rabbit and the hole is only a few inches high, haha.

      Delete
  2. That is too funny! What a character. :) Life with animals is never dull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a houdini! Sounds like he id easy to catch at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a ham. Him and his sister both, actually. I can't wait to get Jack babies someday! :D

      Delete