Saturday, April 11, 2015

Another Dressing Percentage

We are trying to get caught up on our culls to reduce overall numbers before next week. Today we had a new record with one of the last New Zealands of almost 58% dressing percentage. I think it was actually closer to 60%, but I forgot to include the extras that I already removed and packaged for the dogs. That is between a 4-6% difference minimum from our Harlequins, which are averaging 52-54%. The NZ are also noticeably meatier and thicker in the loin in thigh. We only have limited space so our study doesn't have hundreds of participants, but it does suggest a pretty significant difference in meat qualities between the "commercial" type breeds when all other aspects are controlled (same amount of feed, same size housing, etc.). Just wanted to share in case it is helpful to anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know a whole great deal about dressing percentages, but I would say that is excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete