Monday, April 27, 2015

Eye Mystery

A while back, my foundation doe Kari developed a cloudy eye. She never had any drainage, and never acted like she had any discomfort. She is pretty old now- I believe 6 years off the top of my head- and I honestly didn't think much of it at the time. Maybe she had bumped it or it was just one of those things. As far as I can tell, Kari can't see out of it and there aren't any spots that are darker or lighter, no irritation around the membranes, etc. As the cloudy eye has persisted though, it does look like the whole eyeball has become slightly larger than the other over time. Even with this, she doesn't really favor a side, raised litters of kits perfectly, eats/drinks well, and has good condition. 

The thing is, I was "supervising" my poor husband taking care of them this week and I noticed a very faint cloudiness around Kurayami's eye towards one side. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the same kind of vague cloudiness that her Mom has, just less advanced. The eye also looks slightly larger than the other. I started looking at everyone's eyes with a penlight up close and personal and discovered that Valkyrie has the same thing, too. Both of these does were produced by Kari in different litters years ago.

Upon researching (because I have nothing if not time right now), this appears to be a hereditary form of glaucoma, which is apparently very common in domestic rabbits. I had never seen or heard of it before though, so I had to start digging through some books.

What I have found is that this disease causes deterioration in the eye and can go unnoticed for a long time because the damage is from the pressures inside the eye, not anything apparent to someone on the outside without special equipment. Slatter's Fundamentals of Veterinary Ophthalmology states that "medical treatment is ineffective" for rabbits with it. Apparently there have been genes identified in some New Zealand and Chinchilla lines in particular (bu gene), but it has cropped up in many other breeds. The age of onset is extremely variable. Rapid Review of Exotic Animal Medicine and Husbandry states that 1 in 4 of offspring from animals with the genetics for this may eventually show symptoms, though sometimes none do as the genes are not simply recessive. It also says that glaucoma in rabbits is not typically associated with pain like it is in other animals, and that by the time it is noticed clinically that the animal usually already blind in the effected eye(s). 

It is very unfortunate that 3 of my brood does are showing this problem and I'm not sure what to do from here other than try to keep moving forward. I wouldn't have bred them had it been evident to me that there might be a genetic link, but what's done is done. I will be watching their offspring very closely for any eye anomalies, but I just wanted to share the latest in case it is helpful at some point to anyone else. 

5 comments:

  1. Well, that is interesting but also sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to say I was pretty surprised when I found the eye trouble with Kurayami because I had thought it was an isolated thing, but I was downright shocked and sad when Valkyrie had it, too. Sucks so bad!

      Delete
  2. I was going to suggest a dose of fenbendazole as one of my rabbits developed a cloudy eye. After treatment, her eye cleared right up. http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-health-feeding/eye-spot-e-cuniculi/

    But, it would be unusual for 3 related does to develop symptoms. I hope none of the babies have a problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! The only thing is that there isn't a spot like in the pictures I've seen of E. cuniculi infections (it is a diffuse cloudiness- I'll try to get pics) and the actual eyeball itself is bigger than the opposite. There isn't any drainage or anything either. I can look into treating, but it says it needs to be the liquid product done daily for 30 days. I'm not sure about any side effects or other potential problems when using a cattle wormer on a rabbit, especially when they are all older. I know for older humans we tend to give a reduced amount or duration of medication because liver/kidneys may not be as efficient as a healthy young adult. Have you heard anything about this? Then again I might be the only dopey breeder that still has 6 year old rabbits around, lol.

      Delete
    2. I treated my doe with the horse version of fenbendazole. Her dose was "slightly larger than pea size" orally 1x daily for 3 days.

      Unfortunately there is little data on health of older rabbits.

      Delete