Thursday, March 19, 2015

More Spring Pictures

It is raining again today so I've been working on packing up loads of stuff to take to the local charities. We are trying to reduce the things we will need to move overall now and to simplify our lives as much as possible. In the meantime, I wanted to post some more pictures I took yesterday while we were working on the garden beds in nicer weather. More cherry blossoms:


And the nettles are back (along with whatever is next to it- Phacelia any ideas?):


The roses are leafing out:


I am a rose lover. Even a rose's leaf is striking with shades of fiery red, burgundy, jade, olive, and hunter green. Those are Don Juan climbers and they produce HUGE double blooms that I'll post pics of when they come into season. Incidentally, my rabbits love to eat rose cuttings as well.

Here are Bleeding Heart leaves opening up for the first time this year. They also have fantastic whimsical blooms that I'll update when the time is right:


All of our songbirds are enjoying the peanut suet we've been keeping out. I'm pretty sure the squirrels are trying to gnaw their way through the green wire:


Here is a picture that someone could only appreciate if they like to dig in the dirt like me. This is the rich decadence that is from our raised beds, thanks to our rabbits, organic topsoil, and the original Mel's mix we blended in years ago:


Our rabbiteye blueberries are getting ready to flower:


The cool crop of heirloom veggies (these are cauliflower seeds) have been sowed with love:


And Spring is in the air (Arbor day sold this to me as a Redbud, but it looks like a Sargent Crabapple and our Weeping Willow from them turned out to be some other upright type of Willow, too...):


It looked like a stick when we received the package a few years ago, but now it is huge and lovely. As long as the critters like it, I am happy:


I am wondering if little berries will develop. This is the first time it has bloomed for us. It went straight up fire red-gold during Fall, which was beautiful.

Incidentally, one of our first steps for a new homested will be planting an orchard and other bird/critter friendly trees and plants for our local wildlife and for us as well.

All part of a good day's work:


Hope you all are having a wonderful week!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Spring! Your plants and garden soil look great.

    Your mystery plant is common chickweed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We have the chickweed everywhere then all of a sudden this year. I am worried it is crowding out the grass, but I don't want to use any pesticides on it. Was thinking of mowing the weeds down and seeding it again maybe? We've had so much rain over the past year that the ground feels loamy for the first time ever that I've seen in this area.

      Delete
  2. Yay for Spring! I love roses too and have quite a few, I just pruned them and The Youngun and I were wondering about feeding the clippings to the rabbits. Do the thorns cause problems? I know the goats don't let briars brother them at all when it comes to eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'd love to see pics when they bloom! I had a few lavender and light pink ones, but my favorites are the big dark red types. I do take the tips off of the big thorns (some of them are huge though) with the clippers when I'm pruning, but otherwise I just throw them in with stems (and most of the thorns) intact. :)

      Delete