Monday, March 9, 2015

Lost Seeds

Apparently while organizing several rooms in our house, I have misplaced several packets of cool weather heirloom crop seeds. I know I have them somewhere, but I just can't for the life of me think of where (or how they even got separated). I can find all of my others- tons of beans, squash, tomatoes, eggplants, random herbs, corn, etc.. but none of the things we're ready to plant presently. We worked on the garden over the weekend again and are totally ready to rock and sow. :)

To remedy this problem, I just placed a seed order with St. Claire Heirloom Seeds. Supposedly I was going to get mostly lettuce, radishes, and peas, but here is what I somehow ended up with (lol):

Taylor Dwarf Horticultural Bean Seeds
Small Red Bean Seeds
Jacob's Cattle Bean Seeds
Calypso Bean Seeds
Herb - Basil, Sweet Italian Large Leaf
Pea - Maestro
Spinach - Bloomsdale Long Standing
Pea - Dwarf Grey Sugar
Pea - Oregon Sugar Pod II
Radish - Easter Egg
Lettuce Blend #2 (Oak Leaf, Ruby Red, Salad Bowl Green, Black Seeded Simpson, Salad Bowl Red)
Lettuce Blend #1 (Ruby Red, Salad Bowl Green, Black Seeded Simpson, Buttercrunch, Salad Bowl Red, Paris Island COS)
Carrot - Scarlet Nantes
Carrot - Cosmic Purple
Cauliflower - Snowball Self-Blanching
Broccoli - Green Sprouting Calabrese

I'm justifying the beans because they were on sale. So there!

It is my first time ordering from this company, but they have very good ratings on Dave's Garden. Here is a link if anyone still needs seeds:

http://www.stclareseeds.com/

I like their philosophy about seeds and that they are smaller + family owned and operated. In the past I've had good luck ordering from Baker Creek, but I feel like they have exploded in popularity and they have started pushing some politics around that I am still on the fence about. I ordered gift seeds from Victory as well and my family that received them were very happy with them. Either way, just thought I'd share. :)

9 comments:

  1. I love your selection!

    I planted garlic last fall, but I'm not sure if I want to fool with a garden while we're in the process of moving. It's so tempting though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do a container garden so they are portable to the new house! I just recently read that the best time to plant fruit trees was years ago also.. if that is something on your list. As soon as we move, we hope to start with the orchard first to get a head start on production. :)

      Delete
  2. I was in the same predicament last year. All of my seeds disappeared. Of course I HAD to order more. I have since bought additional packets of seeds from TSC and WalMart in my last trips there.

    We're even growing some of the same varieties :) I have Calabrese broccoli, dwarf grey sugar peas, and simpson lettuce.

    I will have to check out this seed company, I had never heard of them before. In the past I have ordered from Territorial Seed but gave SeedsNow a try this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally get it! I'm hoping we find the missing seeds, too. I kind of feel like we can never have enough because sometimes I feel like planting more or less than planned. Also we never know about germination rates.

      I LOVE sugar peas. Can't wait to eat them!

      How were the seed companies you ordered from? :)

      Delete
    2. Territorial has always been great - high germination rates on all that I have tried to grow (and planted at the right time). They are a little more pricey it seems. I am just planting some of my SeedsNow seeds but I can see little sprouts. I really liked SeedsNow because for certain things like peppers and squash, I don't need 50 seeds in a packet, they offer sample sizes with 10-15 seeds. The sample packs are $1 each. :)

      Delete
    3. I like the idea of sample packs! Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of seeds! :) How fun. I had to give up gardening when we moved to our current property. We are in a wooded setting and deer and wild turkey are very active. Our neighbors said they tried for many years and had to give up. I look forward to seeing your garden grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe a little greenhouse or mini fenced in area would be fun for you? Deer decimated my tomatoes last year, but this time I am building a protective fence around them. :)

      Delete