Monday, November 17, 2014

Tentative Breeding Plans

Oh my goodness, I have so much to do! I finally was able to get my records from Evans rabbit software transferred over to my current computer. Now I am trying to look at pedigrees, past litters, and current rabbits to decide who I should attempt to breed for my first litter in more than two years. I've decided that my first priority is to preserve genetics, so I will probably plan for Hikari and Tacoma as they are my oldest does. Spock and Apollo are my oldest bucks, so I will probably plan for them to be herdsires again (which I am sure they will be thrilled about despite age). When the new year comes and goes, I will be posting a list of my 2015 breeding goals like I used to back in the day, but I can already say for sure that I will need to cull, cull, cull. I have a lot of issues that I need to address with my own personal Harlequins to get repeated good type and health. Temperament has never been a problem (Harlies are the SWEETEST rabbits!) and, as always, markings are at the bottom of my list. How am I still working with a marked breed after all of these years? Beats me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited you are planning litters! Hopefully together we can promote this wonderful breed. BTW you still have a marked breed because Harlequins are so awesome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete