Thursday, November 6, 2014

BunnyVac

So one new thing to me in the rabbit hobby is the existence of a Pasteurella vaccine. Pasteurella infection (also known as Snuffles) can be responsible for a variety of issues including a runny, snotty nose, ear problems and other neurological symptoms like a tilted head/wry neck, pneumonia, weepy eyes, and abscesses. It can be a breeder's worst nightmare and can ultimately decimate their herd. It affects many pet owners around the world as well.

Unfortunately, Pasteurella has been a deep, dark secret in the rabbit world in year's past. People didn't like to talk about it and unfortunately this helped perpetuate the problem.You can treat the symptoms with antibiotics, but Snuffles is insidious and has been known to return after treatment the next time the animal is stressed. Rabbits can also be carriers and have no symptoms. Snuffles can be transmitted through aerosol. I have had rabbits show up with Pasteurella symptoms in the past and the only way I knew of to protect my crew was to humanely euthanize the sick rabbit. Now that people have started talking about it more, it is apparent that almost anyone with more than a few rabbits for any stretch of time has likely dealt with this illness in some way or another. 

Needless to say, I was thrilled to see the USDA had approved a vaccine for this horrible infection. I haven't brought home any new rabbits and I haven't been to any recent shows, but last night I purchased the vaccine for all of my rabbits. Why would I do that if my rabbits are as safe as they can ever be? I may at some point find a new Harlequin that want to bring home. I also regularly allow my rabbits to eat and play outdoors where we have several wild rabbits living (they have turned my garden into their personal playground). There is also no way of knowing if any of my rabbits are carriers with no symptoms. If they are, this will protect the rest of the herd should they ever become snotty infectious disasters. Additionally, I want to support the product and research that went into it. At only $2/rabbit for the first year and $1 each additional year, it hardly breaks the bank.

If you want to read about or purchase the vaccine, please see the link below:

BunnyVac- Pan American Veterinary Laboratories

2 comments:

  1. This is really fascinating! I'm debating getting this for my herd. On the one hand it could be useful as we both know Harlequins are prone to Snuffles. But I'm concerned about the disease being covered up instead of bred out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for years I could breed rabbits that could have a strong enough immune system to avoid Snuffles, but the more I learn about this particular bug, the less sense it makes to me as something that can even be done. It would also explain why breeders have tried for more than thirty years without any luck. From what I've researched, Pasteurella is just a gram-negative bacterial infection (like tuberculosis). It is like a monster to our hobby because it has had such a horrible impact on our rabbits, but it makes sense when I think about what an impact TB has had on humanity and perfectly healthy people with good immune systems can still catch it. I used to think rabbits that were exposed and never developed any symptoms were the strong ones that should be bred, but now I honestly think that probably has just perpetuated the problem over all these years (myself included). Exposed rabbits that never acted sick likely have latent/inactive infections or were carriers like Typhoid Mary (typhoid fever is another gram-negative bacterial infection that a vaccine was developed for). The only way to know for sure would be to test every rabbit for the bacteria and I just don't see everyone doing that. Some people with inactive TB are never treated and never get sick in their life, but some people will develop signs and symptoms later on just like people posting on forums that a random rabbits is suddenly blowing snot after no apparent exposure. For all I know, I could have carriers still after all these years. So now I have a new plan.. vaccinate everyone and any future babies. I haven't read anything negative so far from people that have vaccinated over the past 8+ months and it sounds like it may have protected at least one rabbitry from an outbreak after the county fair. Hopefully in the future, Pasteurella won't have to be such a terrifying monster to rabbit people any more. :)

    ReplyDelete