Monday, November 24, 2014

Fall Rabbit Update

As I mentioned before, I've been aiming for December kits. I worry it has been too long since any planned litters though. For the most part, the does have not been receptive to the bucks regardless of the time of day, choice of buck, cage placement, lighting, etc. Valkyrie is the exception to the rule as she has been a gem and is apparently quite fond of Apollo. I normally do not leave does with bucks in case of problems when I am not supervising, but I did end up placing Kari and Sunshine both in with Spock and Apollo respectively in the hopes that something would happen when I wasn't around. For now I am just going to plan to put nestboxes in with all four does when the time comes and hope for the best.

In the meantime, I've been trying to come up with a contingency plan. Bob Bennett in Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits (which I recommend) gives his does a 3-strike rule. Here is a pic of the cover in case any folks are wanting to read it. The IBSN # is 1603424563:



With the 3-strike rule, Mr. Bennett gives his does three attempts to raise a litter and then they are out of the breeding program. I think that is the fair option here as well. I'd be thrilled with some surprise litters though- I really need some young replacements and would like to continue with these genetics. I honestly don't think I could do Harlequins again if I had to start all over from nothing. Needless to say, I am curious to see if old does can produce after this long. After talking to some folks and doing some reading, old bucks tend not to be the culprit if kits aren't produced- hence why 4-6+ year old bucks in some breeding programs still successfully sire litters.

Another thing I am planning to do differently from here forward is (assuming I have any litters) not to part with pet quality rabbits to the general public. I've had a very small number of exceptional homes contact me over the years. More commonly though, I am contacted by folks that haven't done any research and want something cheap. Part of that is the market here, but part of it is just a different way of thinking. To me rabbits are living creatures, but some folks may view them more like objects (such as toys to entertain their kids). I have gone the route where I spend a lot of time and effort trying to educate, but honestly many people are not receptive and I think that contributed to burnout I experienced a few years ago. I would rather have rabbit dinner knowing that life was good before humane dispatch rather than consign one of my own to a fate of neglect or even abuse in a questionable home. Another bonus is that I wouldn't have to worry about the retail aspect, which I am not good at and don't care for. I knew going into rabbits 5+ years ago that this is a wonderful hobby, but not one I was planning to make any money from anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you, on the whole pet rabbit thing. I haven't sold any rabbits yet, but have pretty much decided to not sell them as pets (unless perhaps I know the person really well). A lot of people looking for pets are often ignorant about rabbits as you say, or they are the nut jobs who want to free all your rabbits and harass you for raising them. I hope you can get your rabbits bred back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- I also stopped allowing strangers to come out to my home to pick up rabbits a few years ago because of concern over crazies (I got a few threatening e-mails). There are only so many ways I could say that domestic rabbits can't survive in the wild. Since then, the only folks that can come hang out with the rabbits are friends and family, which I like better anyway. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even mention selling rabbits on my website. I welcome questions but that is the extent. Hopefully at least one of your does took!

    ReplyDelete