Friday, September 30, 2011

The Best Laid Plans.

I bred four of my does on September 6th as follows:
Mini Lops-
Hoppin's Twister (Chocolate Chinchilla) X Lunar Lapins' Sunflower (Chestnut)

Harlies-
McCasland's Spock (Black Japanese) X Hendricks' Athena (Black Japanese)
Hendricks' Apollo (Black Japanese) X McCasland's Hikari (Blue Japanese)

New Zealands
Scorch (New Zealand Red) X Pearl (New Zealand White)

On day 18 Pearl started nesting frantically and pulling fur. I am guessing she didn't take and is having a false pregnancy, but she isn't cooperative right now so I am sure. It would be a nice surprise if she does happen to kindle a litter, though. I would expect odd colors from a red X white pairing- maybe steels or agoutis, but I had hoped to keep the very best (regardless of color) for the next generation of improvement. I am always reminding myself: color is easy, type is hard!

On day 21, Kari started frantically nesting as well, though she didn't pull fur. She is still displaying nesting behaviors today though she isn't due until next week. I am really hoping that she took because her breeding is my most anticipated of all and I have waited almost a year for this opportunity. I would expect black and blue Japanese with the slim chance of chocolates and lilac Japanese, too. This pair has very complimentary type and are large, friendly, and beautiful. Needless to say, fingers are crossed!

Sunny and Athena are not showing any signs either way whether they took or not and I forgot to palpate at the appropriate time. Oh well! Due to my concern about stressing the does with the incredibly hot summer we had, there haven't been any kits since early Spring. I miss having them around as much as anything else, though it would be great to be able to move forward with the breeding program finally.

I am trying not to get my hopes up too high as I have learned over the years.. "The best laid schemes of mice and men / Go oft awry."

No comments:

Post a Comment