Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Trying to get some work done and other random thoughts.

I've been working on the new site several times a week, but I just didn't realize how much content there was to move over. I'm still not really thrilled with the layout and I am scared to mess with it too much. I've always done my own html coding prior to this, so it is a big change to say the least.

I keep thinking today how much easier everything would be if I just worked with one breed. With two, it automatically doubles the workload on the website content. It also doubles the workload that the individual has, trying to learn every nuance of the breed standards, trying to find quality stock, trying to have complimentary breedings, trying to make sure you can get 'em to the right coops even when they are all being called at the same time at the show. Making sure there is the health, diversity, temperaments, markings, etc., etc., etc.. X2 or 3 or 4 depending on how dedicated someone is. It gets tiring quite honestly.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Harlequins. I love Mini Lops, too. That' the problem. I also like several heritage breeds and commercial types. I never knew how neat New Zealands were until I owned a couple. But I am a busy student and reality checks are frequent by necessity. I simply don't have the time, money, or space for a large rabbitry. I know some people think of a large rabbitry as 150, but no I mean I don't have time for even 100, or even 50, or even 25.

In a perfect world, I'd like to have between 10-20 of one breed, but right now that is too much for me so I just do the best I can. I find that the longer I work with rabbits the more my goals seem to streamline with experience, so maybe there is still hope for the future after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment