Friday, May 22, 2015

The Lannisters and Weights

GUYS. I've thought for years that Harlies with very light markings can produce heavily marked ones and visa versa, but the Lannisters (aka Jack and Pancake) are helping me prove it in my lines here. This has happened in other litters I've had repeatedly, but these two rabbits in particular have the most poor markings of any keepers before. Let's face it, Jack has like.. a butt stripe. And a few little black bits here and there. But that's it. No face split. No alterations. No banding or checkering. Nada. If I were to show him, he'd be immediately disqualified. I picked him as a herdsire soley to improve on type, but it helped that they had fantastic temperaments and an excellent base colors.

The bottom line is that they are outproducing themselves already in terms of color/placement. The markings needs to be more solid, but I can work on that over time. The rufus on these kits is also completely blowing my mind- they look like copies of their parents at the same age.

Don't take my word for it though. Look at these babies glow:


It looks like 2 chocolates and 4 blacks, so that's neat. Here is a choco next to a black for comparison:


I'm very curious to see how they grow up. Here is a lovely face split:


In the meantime, I did get weights on Tacoma's (with the 1 singleton from Kurayami) litter. Here are the 6 week and 8 week numbers:

1. Blue doe
1lb 9.6oz
2lb 3.0 oz

2. Lilac buck
1lb 9.1oz
2lb 4.6oz

3. Lilac buck
1lb 7.2oz
2lb 2.7oz

4. Chocolate doe
1lb 5.8oz
2lb 0.1oz

5. Chocolate doe
1lb 7.5oz
2lb 1.4oz

6. Chocolate doe
1lb 7.2oz
2lb 8.8oz

7. Chocolate doe
1lb 4oz
1lb 13.2oz

The weights aren't super impressive, particularly on the chocolate runt doe, but they are weaned now and being free-fed, so they should keep putting weight on. One of the lilac bucks looks pretty darn good and I'm fond of a couple of the chocolate does as well. I will be posting pictures of them before too long.

I'm also glad to report that Pancake is a great mamma. Look at these little fatties:


It is a very pretty day out today, so I'm trying to get as many pics as I can before the heat slams us again like it did the past couple of days. Hope everyone is staying cool and dry!


1 comment:

  1. The Lannisters look awesome! I know you must be thrilled with them! :)

    ReplyDelete