Sunday, May 3, 2015

Spring Flowers

Unfortunately I missed most of the Spring flower explosion this year, but I did manage to catch a few late blooms yesterday afternoon. One of my favorites are our old-fashioned Bearded Irises. We were given the rhizomes years ago from a friend at work. They were gifted to her by her grandma, who had grown them for years also. Basically, these flowers have been truly passed down through the generations. 


They have huge blooms, even bigger than my whole hand. I like that the fans stay green year-round so I can enjoy their minty color even in the middle of winter.


They come in all different colors, but the ones we have here are the purple and white, gold and burgundy, and straight bright yellow (which I sadly missed taking pictures of this year with the hospitalization).


If we move out of state, I'm totally planning to dig some up and take them with us. I just couldn't bear to leave them all behind, though I suppose I could share these treasures with whomever purchases the property.


I hope they would enjoy them as much as we do. :)

4 comments:

  1. Iris are such lovely flowers! Even if you dig some up, I'm sure there will be plenty left behind, and they will probably even do better with a little bit of disturbance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they might need thinning anyway, too. Thanks! :)

      Delete