Monday, May 4, 2015

Garden Update

Just thought I'd post a little of what is going on outside. Everything has been pretty neglected the past couple of weeks with all of the hubbub, so there has been a lot of weeding catch-up. Another thing I discovered on my return is that the radishes have exploded- greens galore:


We have the Easter Egg heirloom in right now, so some of the roots are one color and some are something completely different, like purple:

 

Versus white:


We also have Spinach and a bunch of lettuces to nibble on (though it is starting to get too hot for them):

White onions are doing well:


We also have heirloom brocolli and cauliflower, though we did plant them too late this year with everything going on:


Fortunately, the carrots continue to grow:


We also have snow peas doing their thing:


And the lemon balm is back under control in a pot where it belongs (it is related to mint):


Aren't baby asparagus cute?


I'm thrilled that our berry crop should be amazing this year. The raspberries are coming in:


And we have SO MANY blueberries this time around. See them all over the place? I planted them probably around 4 or maybe 5 years ago and we've been getting fruit, but this year is much improved:


Can't wait until they ripen:


So I can blueberry ALL OF THE THINGS. Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. The baby asparagus looks like little baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy! Everything looks wonderful, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love Groot (and that movie)! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Great looking garden! My radishes produced a lot of greens (which the bunnies loved) but the roots were pitifully small and then started splitting. We had plenty of rain - maybe too much?

    I can't wait to get settled at a permanent house so I can plant berries and fruit trees! I'm envious of your blueberries, yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, it might also be that the soil is too hard if clay? Our first radishes came out perfectly (Cherry Belle if I remember right), but they are a smaller variety. Some of the larger ones do have problems here in GA with moisture and tough ground. I think that clay just cements up on them sometimes, though I don't know for sure.

      We want fruit trees, too! I am so eager to know where we will be this time next year so I can plant them. I don't think I will be able to take the blueberries and raspberries with me though if we move north and west- I think the rabbiteye variety likes the South. :/

      Delete
    2. My radishes (also Cherry Belle :) ) were actually grown in a container. I'm not sure what could have caused them to split. :\

      I have heard Rabbiteye berries won't survive northern winters. It does look like there would be plenty of varieties you could grow, but I know how it is to get an established plant and then have to leave it behind.

      Delete
  3. Your plants look really good! Looks like it's going to be a great harvest this year! :)

    ReplyDelete