Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Sweet Spock

Our original foundation herdsire Spock isn't doing too well. I found him this morning with what appeared to be a torn eyelid. I was shocked because he was in his usual 30 x 30 cage with no new additions, changes, new toys, etc. He made it through the 4th just fine despite all the loud noises and then this happened somehow. I washed his eye out this morning and applied antibiotic ointment and gave him some willow to chew on because he was grinding his teeth when I applied the ointment. I wish I could tell him that I'm trying to help, but at least he is always a gentleman, even when he doesn't feel well.

At lunch I went out to repeat the rinse, ointment, and willow and he seemed a little bit better. I was hopeful and saw him nibbling on his pellets. I just went out to treat him again though and saw that under his eye is now swollen and he started grinding his teeth again with the cleaning. I gave him an extra helping of willow, but now I am wondering if it was something like a tooth abcess under his eye that he was trying to itch as it was forming. Or if the swelling is just from the trauma on the eyelid? I can't see anything inside his mouth that would account for the problem and he is still eating, so I'm not really sure what we are even dealing with. The eyeball itself looks normal at least.

Of course, I'm not going to be around at the house much the rest of this week (Murphy's Law). So, I'm going to treat him first thing in the morning and then try to get some help to tend to him while I'm away, but it's worrying. It's always hard to deal with health issues in the herd, but particularly difficult when it is a buck I've had for something like 5 years and am totally attached to. Hoping he will pull through for us- he is such a great fellow and herdsire.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Spock makes a full recovery! He was such a sweetie. I don't have any advice, it sounds like you're doing everything possible for him. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope he does, too. I do think it is an abscess behind his eye though because the eyelid is healing, but the swelling is staying and making his eye look odd on one side. He isn't grinding his teeth now though and is eating/drinking!

      Delete