Friday, June 12, 2015

Garden Fail

I've been around, just haven't felt like posting much. I have a big certification exam coming up, so a lot of the time that I'm not at work I've had to spend time studying.


On the homestead, we don't have any planned new litters and very unfortunately, the deer got into the garden. Our once luscious harvest has been pretty much decimated to the ground, so we didn't even get seeds from our lettuces, spinach, and warm weather planting etc. The picture above was taken one of the nights before they attacked. The radishes, snow peas, carrots, and blueberries survived at least and are going to seed, so I guess that's something we can save. Somehow a few broccoli and cauliflower are still trying to flower, which is bizarre at this time of year, but I'm all for whatever is trying.


If we are still here next year, I don't see that we have any choice but to run an electric fence around anything we plant. It will increase our cost, but so will losing entire harvests. In the meantime, I guess I'll need to go to Lowe's and get some new starts. ARGH.


On the bright side, more of our flowers are blooming and the butterflies are visiting in force. The hydrangea, daylillies, roses, and radish flowers are drawing them like I've never seen. It's nice to go out there and see them fluttering around. :)


Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Me too, about the been around, just not feeling like posting! I'm sorry the deer got your garden, but your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you are doing okay- was wondering if you and I were on the same no-blog boat for a bit, lol. :)

      Delete
  2. Garden pests are so frustrating! Insects were the bane of my garden last year. My cool weather/spring garden did well this year, we'll see how the summer garden does. Good luck with your new planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to always overplant to account for bugs and rotate different stuff in different beds, but yes they can be a big problem in Georgia. The deer around here are so sneaky- they can come through in 1 night and destroy everything. I was looking into one of those spray deterrents this morning because I desperately want tomatoes this year, but they ate them to the ground before and I don't want to waste any more money or time. Definitely going to need electric in the future!

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Sorry about that! I haven't tried any of those sprays that they make, but I have used smelly dog hair sprinkled around, and that seemed to help (at least temporarily). A fence usually ends up being about the only thing that keeps them out, once they get determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! The fence for the dog's yard backs right up to the garden, so unfortunately, I think the scent wasn't enough of a deterrent. Hopefully next year we can get an electric setup and that'll learn 'em!

      Delete