Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Missing Spring

We have been in a drought for a pretty good bit now. Last night we had a little rain, but not enough to really make a dent in how dry everything is still. Some of my trees have been dropping leaves and the grass looks very brown and sad.

It wasn't so long ago when everything was lush and blooming. I'm posting some pics today of my hydrangea when it was producing tons of flowers in mid-May. I purchased it thinking it was going to produce bubblegum pink petals a few years back. It was almost dead on the clearance shelf at Home Depot for $5 when it normally sold for almost $30. I figured I'd give it a go and with some TLC, it came right back. Didn't bloom the first year, but ever since it has been like clockwork during Spring.

Interestingly, it never did end up blooming bubblegum pink, but research later on indicated that the advertising wasn't really accurate because the color of the flower depends on the pH of the soil.



 








 As you can see, the buds would try to open pink, but by the time they matured they were lavender blue with pink centers and were just so pretty!

Here is another lovely Spring discovery. A Toehee nest right outside my front window:


The little pair hatched less than 24 hours before this picture was taken. I had been discretely checking the nest when mama was out and the babies did great!

Thanks for reading. :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment